Be advised that these restrictions & closings only apply for PW44.
Due to abnormal rainfall this year some areas of Cooper’s Lake Campground are very wet and muddy (and have a high probability for vehicles becoming stuck). Due to that and potential complications of further rain, both before and during the event, the Mayor and the Land Staff are placing the following restrictions and closings into effect. See the list below to find out if your campsite is affected; on site look for Red Lines which will be painted around or within blocks denoting closed sections.
Blocks that are closed or restricted:
• All of E-32.
• All of W-19.
• All of W-23.
• Part of W-21 closed, west of site 52 (the fire pit is okay).
• Part of N-15 closed, the eastern portion just past the water spigot.
• E-31 (The Island) is no longer handicapped accessible! The Island is campable, but muddy & prone to flooding in severe weather. Camping on the Island will be allowed, but campers are advised that this is at their own risk due to the possibility of flooding. No vehicles will be allowed on the Island. No trailers will be delivered to the Island. The foot bridge is the only access to The Island; if you choose to camp there your encampment must make arrangements to move your gear by hand from storage to your encampment & back to storage at the end of War. Note: The Cooper’s will not be able to make any site improvements to the Island to alleviate muddy conditions.
• W-09 is not closed, but has Driving Restrictions—cars may not drive off of the of the gravel road.
Roads that are closed or restricted:
• Howard’s Fenway is closed.
• Nagashino Road, between B05 and B09 is closed.
• Hill Road, is restricted to one way traffic (south bound only!) from the Low Road to Good Intentions.
Other block restrictions/concerns:
• N-12 is not closed, but there will be no single campers on the block.
• W-20: very muddy & prone to flooding in severe weather.
• No ground fires are allowed on the Battlefield.
• No ground fires are allowed in the southernmost section of E11.
Land staff will be in touch with those groups affected by closings and restrictions and every attempt will be made to accommodate needs of campers. If you are forced to move this year you will still get your land point. Next year you will be allowed back into your block.
If you have a storage trailer that the Cooper’s deliver to your campsite for unloading, it may be required to remain there for the duration of Pennsic depending on your encampment’s conditions. No extra footage will be allowed for your storage trailer; you must make room it in your encampment. While the driver will attempt to meet your requests, we cannot guarantee that your trailer will be placed where you want it to be.
If you choose not to have your trailer moved to your camp site, you are responsible for unloading, moving the contents of the trailer to your site, & loading it again at the end of war. You will not be allowed to tow your trailer yourself from storage to your site.
We understand that due to muddy conditions some groups may wish to build structures or modify the land to alleviate the mud, be advised, however, that NO changes to the landscape or building projects in encampments may take place without the direct permission of the Coopers! If you have a water/mud issue and you MUST come to the War Room and discuss it with the Coopers BEFORE you can make changes/build anything in your camp. NO ONE will be allowed on site before July 24th to view or work in any encampments. Failure to get appropriate permissions from the Coopers for modifications to alleviate mud may get you expelled from the site.
A Final Word
This is a difficult situation, we know. We also know how you all feel about your Pennsic encampments, but we hope that everyone will be understanding of the unusual conditions this year that require these changes. These block restrictions & closings only apply for PW44. We hope our attendees will be understanding of the compressed conditions necessary this year and conserve and share the space with grace and courtesy.
If you have any questions concerning the above announcements, please email Land Staff.
Thank You for your patience & understanding.
Baron Illiam Uaine, Mayor Pennsic War 44