I have known for years that I wanted to weave my own fabric, and given that I also recently took up spinning, a more serious attempt at natural dyeing seems to be the logical next step. So, I tried a couple of dye baths with madder and weld (and still have another madder bath going) and below are my initial results.
So, the skeins of dyed yarn are being woven into a tablet band that will start a warp for a miniature warp-weighted loom that I am constructing. For the band design, I was inspired by the double diamond pattern of the image to the left. This is a fragment of an extant band from Kaupang (more info can be found in Hilde Thunem's document here http://urd.priv.no/viking/smokkr.html ). It appears from the diagram that the original might have been brocaded, but given that this is for warping purposes it is not a technique I wanted to test out on this particular piece.
I also will admit that do not truly understand the "how" of tablet weaving just yet. I can print a pattern off of the internet, set up the weaving according to the directions and follow the turn turn/flip pattern that they suggest, but this piece is my first attempt at really understanding the process of how weaving with cards creates a pattern. So, I drafted the pattern myself, set it up and fuddled with it until I got the weaving to show the pattern I was expecting.
Plan to weave a bit of the band on either side of the warp, so you can see below that I have started the left hand bit of the weaving.