The first thing I started the prep-work to dye with Weld. Friday night I soaked my wool and prepared the alum mordant. The yarn and wool was added to that solution and allowed to sit over night. (To the left you can see some roving and my Icelandic handspun soaking in the water.)
The roving is pure white but the yarn is actually a natural heathered wool, a pale tan shade. I am choosing to work with some natural colors, rather than just white because I have never seen anyone's experiments dyeing over naturally colored wool. I added the white roving to the bath as well so I can see the pure resulting color.
I was not getting the rich color that I had hoped for, so I let the wool steep in the brew for about 6 hours before removing to dry. The resulting color is very pretty (and Easter egg yellow) but very, very pale.
After that I headed home to work a bit on some new garb for my BF, including this linen tunic with some handwoven (not by me) fabric being used as trim.